AccessoriesDecorating

Finish For Rusty Coat Hooks

I want to do my bedroom and bathroom with a western theme. I have bought some rusty old coat hooks that I want to use in the bathroom to hang towels on. What can I put on them to keep the rusty look and make sure the rust doesn't come off on the wet towels?

Amanda from NC

Use a steel wool pad or wire brush and get as much rust off as possible. Get rust colored Rustoleum to prevent further rust and spray paint it on the hangers.

If you want the natural rust look that they already have, scrape as much off as possible, then spray a clear krylon paint on them. I did that with a pot hanger for my kitchen. It still looks rusty, but it is sealed.

By Nancy (Guest Post)

I have done this and I used any CLEAR spray that I could get. Make sure the surface is dust or particle free, and dry, and spray it with any brand as long as it is clear.

I would give it a couple of coats and the rust will be preserved ( so to speak ). I have pieces that are still great looking 15 years later. Nancy Riverside, Ca.