AppliancesCleaning

Clock Radio With Strong Electrical Odor

We recently purchased a new clock-radio. It works very well, but has a strong, unpleasant odor. I can only describe it as an "electrical smell". It permeates the whole room and I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to get rid of this smell. Thanks.

Joan - Orlando

BRING THIS RADIO BACK!!! IF YOU CAN SMELL AN ELECTRICAL SMELL,,,SOMETHING IS WRONG AND YOU DO NOT WANT AN ELECTRICAL FIRE!!

I say...get rid of the clock! It could be something electrical wrong with it OR it is overheating to cause the problem. OR, the plastic could be wearing down..no matter what, it is best to ditch it.

We are a family is many MANY allergies...from simple dog hair to being sensitive to elastic in one's cothes...we have had to get rid of most of the plastics in our house as well as a lot of non-cotton clothig.

It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to plastics, allergies and electrical 'smells'.

Dear Joan

I would recommend that you bring that radio back to where you bought it and try a replacement. Clock radios are disposable and I doubt that you can find anybody who would fix one for less than a new one costs.

You should not be smelling ANY odor other than maybe a very faint trace of "new plastic". If you smell anything else, then you did not get what you paid for.

If what you smell is a foul odor, then there is a leaking capacitor. Those odors are mildly toxic.

If what you smell is similar to what you experience in a welding shop, then it is ozone resulting from some arcing and sparking somewhere in it. Fire danger.

If what you smell is similar to what you smell when a dryer or vacuum cleaner motor burns out, then most likely the transformer in it will burn out shortly.

When you bring it back, ask to test the replacement right there. It is possible that a whole series of that model has the same problem. If it stinks too, try a different model or brand.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://www.webby.com/humor/

I agree with everyone take the radio back. But most importantly unplug it RIGHT NOW!!! Back last Christmas, about a week before Christmas, I kept smelling off and on this very strong horrible odor that smell like either electrical or plastic in my bedroom, but we couldn't find out where it was coming from. I had just purchassed a new portable heater and never thought it could have been that. Christmas Eve I went into my bedroom to get to some presents that Santa had hid in there, and the room was filled with this densed smoke and horrible smell that could have knocked you over if the smoke didn't. Within a matter of seconds after opening the door, flames shot up over by an electrical outlet next to a window. I ran over to it and just started yanking out the plugs from the outlet while trying to move the curtains away from the fire. Finally me and my stuff teddy bears (they were the closest thing I could reach) put out the fire. That night we almost became another Christmas Eve tragedy that you sadly read about that lost everything due to a fire. Anyway, that could have been avoided if we had only paid attention to our gut feelings about that smell we were smelling all week. It was from the faulty heater.

So please, unplug and take it back.

God Bless!

sometimes u have to wait a week or so for the so called "electrical smell" to go away, what happens is when the circuit board is finished printing it is then dipped in a type of clear coat to help if and condensation gets inside the electrical smell is caused by initial warming of the clear coat and the transformer which also has a laminating product on the copper wires to keep them from shorting. and as stated abouve it could just be a leaking capacitor a way to find out is make sure its plugged in and on at night in a dark room and shine a flashlight across the top section if u see what looks like steam,"white smoke" its the capacitor. if it looks dark "black smoke" then UNPLUG RIGHT AWAY and return it that signals burning plastics and or wire insulation

i had an interesting experience with a brand new hair dryer, the kind at the salon that sits over your head when your getting a color or perm. it was the first time being used and had a strong, new electrical smell and i had sat under it for only 30 seconds and my chest started to feel light, like my heart was going to float out of my chest. now, was that fumes from what was mentioned in a previous post about the clear coat and laminate produts used on the circuit board? anyone? my hairdresser also got a wiff of it and felt the same way.