AdviceFood Tips

Buying Meat for 75 People

We will be hosting a cookout for 75 people. We will be serving Boston Butts and Chicken Breast Quarters. Please help me figure out how many Boston butt and chicken quarters I need to purchase.

Auni from Raleigh, NC

Anonymous

As long as there is going to be lots of other dishes the rule of thumb is about 1/4 pound of meat per person.

I love your name! I knew a lovely elderly woman when I was in my twenties who's name was Auni :-) She was from Finland. This is the only other time I've ever seen or heard that name :-)

By (Guest Post)

Auni,
I had always heard the rule of thumb as 1/2 pound per person. I have to agree with Deeli though that it would depend on the number of side dishes as well as the overall age and gender of those being served. If you're serving families, 1/4 pound per person will probably be plenty but if you're feeding 75 men, you'd better count on AT LEAST 1/2 pound per person. Hope this helps some.

Cheryl

I am curious to know what a Boston butt is! Pork? Beef? What?

You can go to a website I use often for cooking large amounts for a crowd it is www.growlies.com they should be able to help you

By nikcooks (Guest Post)

We have a family reunion every 2 years for about 100 to 150 people. We use a book called "Food For Fifty" It tells you how much of everything you will need. It even talks about plates, flatware, napkins and things like that. The book breaks everything down for a sit down dinner or a buffet. I'm sure you can get the book from a book store. If you have time you may be able to find it on Amazon.com or another used book web site.