VegetablesFreezing

Keeping Chopped Onion on Hand

I chop an onion and keep it in the freezer inside a ziplock bag that is inside a freezer bag. I always have chopped onion handy for a recipe and don't have to take the extra time to chop one each time. Double bagging it ensures that the odor does not leak!

By Becky Owens from Watertown, WI

I do the same thing and also freeze bell peppers (green, red & yellow) the same way. I use a handfull of each when frying potatoes...for potatoes O'Brian. Yum and saves time when you are in a hurry.
GG hugs, Vi

By (Guest Post)

Thanks for reminding me what a good idea that is! I used to do it....altho it was more a case where I'd go ahead and cut a large onion when I only needed about half of it. I also sometimes just keep the extra chopped onion in the frig to use during the week in recipes. It keeps quite a while in the frig too. You can buy frozen chopped onion and green pepper these days and it's a real convenience but of course, if you are being frugal and watching pennies, I suppose it's better to chop up yourself. It is a time-saver tho and I'm all for that!