Freeze Bell Peppers

When sweet peppers are on sale, I buy different colored ones, chop them up and freeze them on a cookie sheet. When frozen, I put them in a freezer container.

To thaw, I put what I need in cold water. The water might freeze as well but I let it thaw at room temperature. Drain pat dry. They are still quite crispy and good for salads. I do this with celery and radish as well. No blanching.

By judy oliver from Ontario Canada

Kroger have them marked down a lot, for about .99 a bag, I just freeze the whole bag. And when I get ready for some I take out what I need take the seed out, and then slice and dice them.

I use a lot of garlic when I cook, but hate peeling and mincing it. I don't like the taste or price of garlic in the jar or dehydrated. There is a produce market near me that sells peeled, whole cloves of garlic dipped in a little water and citric acid (Fruit Fresh). The cloves are nice and big, and they are actually cheaper than buying heads of garlic.

I can't always use them before they start to go bad, so I freeze them. I have found that garlic freezes beautifully. Thawed, it is just as good as fresh, but is soft. That works fine for me; I chop it a little, and it breaks down into the food nicely, especially if it is a long-cooking food like soup or stew.

If you aren't lucky enough to have a cheap source for peeled garlic, you can buy heads when they are beautiful and cheap and make it into a project for rainy day. Just peel and freeze. Since you are freezing right after peeling, you won't need the Fruit Fresh.

To freeze it, I put all the cloves separated on a cookie sheet. I put it in the freezer for several hours or overnight. Then I put the cloves in a freezer bag and pop it back in the freezer. Whenever I need some, I just reach in and take the number of cloves I need. It's nice to save the time and effort when making a meal.

I also freeze peppers, sweet and hot, this way too. I have been doing this for 40 years and never had a problem with it. When peppers are bountiful and cheap, I chop some and slice some and freeze them on cookie sheets, then in bags. All winter I have nice peppers to cook with. Now, they won't be suitable for snacking or salads, but they are very good for cooking. They will cook up quicker than fresh, but still have the good taste of fresh. This is a real money saver, especially if you grow your own.

Source: My mother started freezing peppers, and I use her method for the garlic.

By Free2B from North Royalton, OH

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 21, 2009
🌻
😷
🐛
📓
Generated 2020-08-18 11:53:13 in 980 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf37124477.tip.html