General AdviceConsumer Advice

What Kind of Dog Brush Should I buy?

Wire slicker brushes look sharp - like they could hurt a dog's skin if you press repeatedly and brush in the same spot. I tried it on my arm in the store and wondered what else there is. This is for a dog whose fur is densely packed, straight and short.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Hi. You could go to a rural hardware store and get something called a horse shedding blade. I have had dogs for 40 yrs and this has to be the gentle but most effective brush i have found. You won't be disappointed.

By AuntyC (Guest Post)

Our vet has combs that simply SWEEP the fur off the animal. I don't remember the name, but they always advertise with a dog or cat surrounded by mounds of hair. I bought one and they really do work! And the animals love it.

By Barbara (Guest Post)

The comb advertised with the piles of fur surrounding the dog or cat is called the Furminator. It can be ordered online or found in large pet stores.

It's a little expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion. It's works great on my dog and two cats and none of them mind being groomed with it.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

You can buy a brush called a Rubba Scrubba at www.flylady.net that will be perfect for the job you've described. I"ve purchased three. They cost around $5 apiece.

Best of luck.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)

Sorry that was www.flylady.com I had the wrong ending. It's still morning here and I need more coffee, I guess. lol

By Krisha Saxon (Guest Post)

The brush your vet probably had was a Furminator. It Works great on cats and dogs. Best for times when dog is shedding out.