Clothing StainsCleaning

Stains on a Hand Painted Shirt

I've recently returned from a long overseas holiday. At some point during that time, my expensive hand painted silk shirt has managed to make it from the laundry to the patio outside and now has dirty grey looking areas on it. Can anyone please recommend a solution to this, as I'm not sure if the problem is due to sun bleaching or anything else. I don't want to wash it until I know what the problem is.

Cathy

By (Guest Post)

All I can say is, do a search for "stains on silk". It'll bring up a lot of websites that, hopefully, will help you.

Silk is very delicate so do be careful. I suppose the sun could have caused the graying but it seems more likely to be dust or possibly the dye bleeding. Bleach, vinegar or any very alkaline detergent is NOT recommended. I'd try hand washing it in Woolite in luke warm water and line drying it. Good luck. Let us know how that turns out.