Dyeing Cotton, Modal and, Spandex Clothing

Can a green cami be dyed to hunter green, if it is 8% spandex, 46% cotton, and 46% modal by using dye?

By Syd from Goldendale, WA

Probably, yes. Go to DharmaTrading.com and ask their customer service department to recommend the best type of dye to use on this kind of fabric. I'm not an expert, but I think you might be able to dye your cami hunter green. Not sure if RIT dye will work, you can try it, but I would check with someone at DharmaTrading first.

I agree with the previous poster, consult someone who deals in dye products. I am sure there is also a customer service number on the Rit dye box as well. Cotton always dyes well, but I have had good luck dying a satin bathrobe that was some synthetic material.

Yes! I'm a costume designer for the theatre, and I do this a lot; buy clothing in thrift stores and over-dye them to make them into costumes. RIT dye is a multi-fiber dye, so it will work on your cami's various fibers, but you'll need to do it a pot of very hot water in order to dye the synthetic portions.

And there's a good chance your cami will shrink a little bit. RIT makes a Hunter Green shade (not in their current palette, but still plenty left in grocery stores, etc.)
Be sure to follow their directions! You'll want to use the correct proportion of salt to set your dye. Good luck!

You can go to RIT on line, they have a free booklet that can be gotten and used with lots of tips.
With a variety of fabric content, you can't always be exact on a certain color, but in the general color should still be good.
Wear rubber gloves and an apron.

Consumer Advice Clothing DecorateJanuary 13, 2011
🎄
🎉