Consumer Advice

Returning Products by Mail

If returning a product through the mail, when you send it back always get a delivery confirmation. That way, someone there has to sign for it and cannot dispute you and say they never received it.

By Allicia

If you are dealing with a long-established company and they have provided a return mailing label with the invoice, this should not be necessary. I don't bother with Delivery Confirmation on goods to be returned unless it is to an individual (such as an online auction purchase) or a company I don't know much about. It's always a judgement call, however.

DELIVERY confirmations may be tracked because they are scanned at various points along the path of delivery and the carrier scans it at the point of delivery but can leave it if there is no response (depending on customer's normal instructions). SIGNATURE confirmation works the same, up to the point of delivery, then the carrier has to scan it and get a signature so it is always handed over to a person. In either case, thanks for using the USPS!

If you print your label and pay for postage online then you get delivery confirmation for free. You do have to click on the option for delivery confirmation but you will not be charged for it. Also if you send it by priority mail you can order boxes online or pick up at post office for free. They provide the boxes which saves having to get something to mail it in.

You also can order other products related to priority mail online and for the difference to send it priority vs first class is only pennies and when you figure in the savings of boxes and delivery confirmation most times it works out the same or cheaper. You do have to order in the lot sizes they offer but I find it much easier to always have the boxes on hand.

Please read this. I was told I could return an item to a shopping channel by giving it to the UPS driver if he was there. I gave it to the driver and because he didn't scan it in, it could not be found and UPS claimed they couldn't find out who it was (I bet if the government asked them they would find it fast). Because the item couldn't be traced, the shopping channel said that I did not return it. I was out $100 for the item! Be careful and if possible only go to the UPS store. Get a receipt if you must give it to the driver. This was the first time I had done this and didn't know the procedure.

Also they delivered a pkg to me that looked like it had been dropped from a distance. 3 sides of the top were not intact, the sides were damaged and it was heavily (and I mean heavily) taped. The driver said they wouldn't send something to me like that and I stupidly believed it. I was out that item too. I am now looking into having items delivered in a different method.