Keeping Pets Cool

This tip works for both dogs and cats, although cats aren't as happy about it.

When the temperatures rise as they have this summer, keep some wet bandanas in the freezer. When the temps start to soar, tie one around the neck of your pet. If it's a large dog, you may have to tie two or three together in order to fit around its neck. Replace no less than every hour. Although in this heat they shouldn't be out there that long to begin with.

What I do with my dogs is: as soon as they come in, I tie one around their necks. By the time it's thawed out, they are cooled off.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

It's a good tip for a long haired dog but what about short haired dogs don't they feel shocked by the sudden ice cold bandana? I had Greyhounds and their hair is extremely short. I would run a wash cloth under cold tap water and wipe their face with it. They liked that because it would take some time to evaporate.