Buffet Breakfast Casserole

This is great for a holiday, or when your have overnight guests. It's easy to prepare and easy to serve!

Ingredients

• 1 pound of pork sausage, cooked, drained, and crumbled
  • Ad

• 12 large eggs
  • 3 cups of milk (I use 1%)
  • 1 tsp. of dry mustard
  • 2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup of herb-seasoned stuffing (dry)
  • 1 cup of cubed herb seasoned stuffing (dry)

Directions

Grease an 8x12 inch or 9x13 inch baking dish. (Use two dishes, when doubling the recipe.) Place bread cubes/stuffing in the dish and cover with 1 cup of shredded cheese. Combine eggs, milk and mustard. Pour over bread and cheese. Distribute crumbled sausage over mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over top. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. *

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes, until firm and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let the casserole rest for 5 to 10 minutes. It will be very hot, on the inside.

I usually serve some fruit and some Danish pastries, for something sweet, to go with this very popular savory dish. *One recipe that I have seen for breakfast casseroles does not call for the overnight setting of the mixture, but I have not tried that. I appreciate being able to just take it out of the refrigerator and put it into the oven.

By Doris from Harrisburg, PA

I think I have had this, at this woman's house, for book club. Terrific, and satisfying....I prefer vegetarian sausage, and just the one cup of bread cubes - the second cup I substitute whatever vegetables I have a cup of - a cup of corn and mushrooms, say. I don't mean to improve - this Doris makes a fine hostess, and I recall her Mother was a lady, a real lady...
And, its perfect for weekend guests, as no one is likely to midnight snack it - and you, or whoever is first up can put it in the oven...great idea!

This is absolutely yummy!!!
It is great that you can prepare it the day before using it, so you don't spend your morning in the kitchen. Out of the fridge, into the oven, and down the hatch.

Great recipe. Great for the busy entertainer!

This is also a great recipe for a Sunday afternoon brunch with your siblings. Very easy, very tasty.

We had this for breakfast Sunday morning after church. Mom had made it the night before so it was nice having her sit and visit with us and not having to prepare it. We all loved it (all six of us). Looks like it will become a Sunday morning regular at our house. Great taste and texture.

I do not get it. Do you use two cups of Stuffing or one? If it is two cups, when do you and the other cup? Please help, this looks delightful and I would love to try this!

In answer to BonnieAngel, it's two cups, both added at the beginning. I suggest that if you don't use stuffing mixes much, just get the cubed stffing mix, and put some into a bag and crush it, for the crumbled portion. I like both crumbled and cubed for the combination of textures.

Doris

OHHHHH! I see :0) Thank you so much! I can't wait to try this! I am going to serve it this weekend for out of town family that are staying for Thanksgiving.

If you have more than six people, you may want to double the recipe. Don't forget to use two separate dishes! This dish reheats very easily in the microwave, so leftovers are welcome.