BusinessBusiness and Legal

Is the Job on Craigslist Legitimate?

How do I check on a listing for a job on Craigslist. I want to know if it is legitimate. The company wants me to send $10.00 through PAYPAL to get started! I am a Paypal member. I want a computer data job, working from my home. How do I find out if it is legit?

Mary from Oneida, Wisconsin

No reputable company would ever require an employee to pay anything up front to learn about the company, to learn about a job, to be considered for a job, to interview for a job, or to get hired.

I say ditch this place, it doesn't sound on the "up and up" to me at all.

I agree. No real job I've ever heard of requires you to pay them to become an employee. I would let this one go. Although I wouldn't discontinue checking Craigslist. They can be a very valuable resource, but just like any other paper,classified ad or etc. cannot gaurantee the validity of it's ads. Good Luck!

I've found it's really hard to find a legitimate work-at-home job on the internet. The last one I had was a research job that paid so little I couldn't afford to keep it.

I'd suggest you make something creative and sell it on ebay. Or call your local technical school and ask their computer teacher about possible jobs. Or check websites for large, reputable companies. Maybe they have something.

It sounds like they are preying on people desperate to work. They are probably the only ones making any money here.

I have worked for the largest temp and temp-to-perm staffing agency in the country as a staffing manager. No legitimate company ever charges a potential employee a hiring fee. Even when a company uses an agency such as a temp one, there aren't any up-front fees. No money is paid until the hiring company is satisfied with the employee that the agency sent.

If they want you to give them money it is just a big SCAM.

Check them out with the Better Business Bureu (BBB)first!

any job that asks you for money is a scam

Never, Never, Never apply for a job, or respond to a prize that asks for money up front as a "Processing fee" or other such term. I am an agent for Western Union, and this is one of the biggest things that they tell us to watch for. Please save your money and research a real job. Good Luck!

Although I haven't been to Craigslist. I learned some very important information. Good to know. Thank you much, Pamela.