RefinishingFurniture

Old Engish Scratch Cover to Stain Furniture

Instead of using stain, I use Old English Scratch Cover for dark wood. It seals the wood and looks like it has been refinished. I did this on a set of dowel rods that I am using for curtain rods. I also did it on a chair that had no finish on it and looks like it has been varnished. For thrift store furniture finds, I clean the furniture of all the old wax and dirt and rub the Old English on it. If there are any scratches on the piece, it seals them and makes the furniture look as good as new.

One thing about this, is to be sure the wood is good and dry before you put any kind of fabric on it or sit on it if it is a chair. Test the area with a paper towel, if the stain comes off you know to let it dry longer.

Source: My big brother

By Rosemary from Tipp City, OH

Hi!! Thank you so much for posting this. I have been searching everywhere and asking everyone and no one could answer whether or not I could use old English scratch cover as a stain. How many coats do you typically put? And how long does it take to completely dry? Thanks again, Lizzy