No More Pack Rat Living

I decided several years ago not to keep everything "just in case". I know several people I can call if I need something I do not save, like oleo tubs, coffee cans, or even bits of fabric. Why not let them save the extra things so I can stay organized? It works very well for me and even if I can't find what I need from friends, the items usually don't cost much to buy, much less than hiring a professional organizer.

By susan from Elkhart, IN

I decided that as I am going about my daily chores of putting away and general pickup that I will dispose of one item per day. Either throw it away, put it in a "Memory Box" to keep safely or put in the pile for donation. If do that every day, that is 365 or so items dealt with and there is no stress!

My problem is holding on to sentimental things. Just this morning as I was cleaning out some closets I was contemplating what to do with "stuff" I kept when my Mother passed away. Stuff that has no monetary value. Two old pitchers that I don't remember anyone of us drinking out of. China cups that were my Grandmother's; collecting dust. I have a shelf my Grandfather made from an apple box that my Mother cherished. This is just a few of the things.

My Daughter says she has no room in her home for any of these things. When I mention donating something my Son says "that was Grandma's, don't get rid of it". He's not married and I know he won't hold on to any of these things. Then there is the box with some things from their childhood. Again, they don't have room for them. All these things will probably all end up in the trash after I'm gone. Still trying to get the courage to just clean it all out or start charging for storage. LOL