PaintingHome Improvement

Proper Spray Paint Technique

Can anyone tell me the proper way to use spray paint? I have never liked using them but I must now. I want to spray varnish onto some wood. Is it better to spray in short bursts or one long spray? Thank you.

Lisa from Thessaloniki, Greece

By (Guest Post)

The main key on spray paint is to use long sprays but to keep the can moving in long sweeping strokes. If you spray too long in one spot you get drips. You also want to do several light coats rather than one heavy coat. Don't try to get the paint even on the first go around, for one it never works and the paint will look even when you get 2 or 3 coats on there. Good luck.

To add to the previous post......When starting to spray, start spraying about 6" before the piece, continue across and keep spraying until off the piece. Results will be much smoother.