Kitchen AppliancesHome Improvement

Water Filters in Refrigerators

Water filters in refrigerators: Is there anything you like or dislike about the location of the water filter and filter replacements?

Mine has one that requires the fridge to be pulled out from the wall all the way, wrenches and big muscles. It's on a 10 year old fridge and I suspect they don't make this design any more because the filters are so difficult to access, that many people don't bother and the companies lose out on a bit of extra profit selling replacement filters.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I have a side-by-side Whirlpool and the filter is in the top of the refrigerator section. Very easy to replace.

yOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF TO INSTALL A WATER FILTER DIRECTLY TO YOUR SINK WATER (UNDER THE SINK CABINET) SUPPLY..THAT IS WHAT WE HAVE -AND HAD- WHEN WE GOT OUR REFRIGERATOR WITH THE FILTER. sINCE THE WATER IS ALL READY BEING FILTERED TO THE REFRIG AND ALSO THE SPIGOT...WE DON'T EVEN BOTHER WITH THE FILTER. THEY ARE WAY, WAY TOO EXPENSIVE ANY WAY..OURS IS CLOSE TO $50. TO REPLACE!!!

The fridge water supply isn't hooked up to the sink. Can't do that. It's from a separate tube that comes out of the wall.

We have a side x side Sears Kenmore, about 3 yrs old and the filter installs at the bottom and in the front. It is fairly big and lasts 6 months at a time. My hubby is the one who does the replacing and I've seen him do it and doesn't seem particularly hard or time-consuming. Ours also has a light inside that lets you know when it is starting to go. The light is green when it's good, then it turns yellow and then finally red. You replace when it's red.

Our filters cost around $30 - $35 I think but they last for 6 mos so I do not consider that expensive. Our water and ice are through the door, so it's very convenient to get a great tasting glass of ice water which I drink a lot of!

I have a lovely Maytag fridge and the filter is at the top inside, very easy to change and lasts about a year. This appliance must have been designed by a woman. plenty of light, door bins that lift out for cleaning and other great design elements. It's a breeze to clean.

Holly, I just bought a Kenmore that did not have a built in filter system for the ice maker. Those fridge models with the easy access filters inside or in the bottom were just so much more expensive and I'm not spending any more on a refrigerator than I need to. I did have my husband install what is called an "in-line filter" which required cutting into the copper tubing for the water line - which is similar to what you describe I think. The difference is that the replacement filter snaps easily on and off of the tubing when its time to change filters. While you still have to pull out the fridge, the wheels slide so easily it isn't a big deal to move it out though. Get your husband to update your inline filter to a "universal filter" that snaps in and out and you and he will be much happier.