Peppermint Oil for Mice Control

contest winner icon

This is the time of year we get mice. We live back off the road and there are barns behind us so we get about 3 a year. My husband read in Mother Earth news, that you can make your mouse problem go away for good. Put peppermint oil on cotton balls and stick them in holes, under cabinets and any other area you fear a mouse might enter. People even took off parts of paneling and put them inside the walls. For some reason mice do not like the peppermint and are deterred. Sounds much better than finding them on those old nasty sticky mouse things that probably still has a live mouse on it or those ugly traps that just broke the little guys neck. Anyway, it is cheap and worth a try.

I have always heard aluminum foil will make them go away because when they step on it, they hear the noise it makes and will not enter.

If I grossed you out, I apologize.

Source: Mother Earth News

By Gem from VA

Saving money, not putting out poison. Save the world, one step at a time. That is great.

We have a huge field behind our house and also get a mouse or two every winter. We use "Real Kill" and drop the little packages down the heating vents, behind the refrigerator and under the washer, dryer and stove. It does kill the mice and they dry up and you never smell them.

When we first moved where we live now a mouse died in one of the walls and the entire house stunk for weeks which is why we now use the Real Kill.

Our two cats are older and though very interested in catching them haven't been able to do so. Though our Great Dane / Lab mix Emma has caught and killed several in the back yard.

I don't like the smell of anything Peppermint or I give that try it does sound like a great idea.

Gem, your solution sounds better than many I've heard, including the ones you listed. Hubby invests in D-Con rat pellets, but then I have to worry about our pit-sheltie mix, who loves to catch small animals! Peppermint would also smell better than dead mice. I know they say the poison embalms them. Don't you believe it. Thanks for the idea.

The reason they don't smell is that the poison dehydrates them from the inside out, a very cruel death, also they head for water, so if your neighbors have a pool, they usually end up with your dead mice or rats. The peppermint is so much more humane, plus so much better for the environment and doesn't kill other living things, so thank you so much!

I tried peppermint oil and aluminum foil and neither one worked.

I have had mice invading my pantry every night! So yesterday I put several cottonballs with peppermint extract on every single shelf. Well...this morning there were fresh droppings, so I'm going to say the mice were not deterred. On the upside, our whole kitchen smells like peppermint.

I haven't heard of sticking peppermint balls in holes to make them go away. However, stuffing the holes with steel wool and sealant works. They cannot chew through the steel wool or if they try, it kills them. I refuse to use poison and have had wonderful luck with the steel wool trick.

Peppermint Oil works wonders for Mice. Extract peppermint oil will not work.

I have not had mice in years. My mom had them and we put the cotton balls on the side of her bed. They ate the mess out those cotton balls and died in the wall. B put the in he hallway and boy did they eat up that cotton balls. and of course they died. I live by cotton balls and pepper mint oil. just so you know it needs tobe pure oil from the veggie market or health food store.