Outdoor DecorDecorating

Decorating a Deck

I need some ideas on decorating a new deck that we are building. Anyone have any ideas to share? Furniture, plants, flower boxes, etc.

Glenda R from Richland, MS

At this time of year, Glenda, you might be able to find a good price on patio furntiure (chairs with cushions, a table with an umbrella). And will you have room for a barbecue? My deck is rather small so I put all my planters on the railing around the deck and it looks very nice when everything's blooming. The advantage to having the railing is being able to set planters at the base of the deck: tall and vining plants are supported by the railing. If you have space, a nice lounger will allow you to lie in the sun and work on your tan. The only other thing you might like (after all this) is candles (preferrable to electric lights which attract moths). Simple candle holders can be made from large, empty cans: soak off the label, punch numerous holes in the sides and set your candle inside. Not only does the bottom of the can prevent wax dripping, the light shining through the holes is quite charming.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Rose Anne

I keep an eye out after garage sales cause lots of people toss out there stuff that didn't sell. I got some beautiful cushions and a fire pit. All for free! Woot!