Men's Swimwear with Suspenders?

I'm looking for swim wear for my husband. He needs to have water therapy and doesn't have anything appropriate to wear. He has to wear suspenders with his slacks to keep them up so we know that swim trunks would slide right off. I haven't been able to find a wetsuit to fit him because he's very large and they don't make them that big.


I was wondering if anyone has seen swim trunks with suspenders built in or where I might find the old-fashioned swimsuits that had the over-the-shoulder straps. Thank you for any help you can give us.

Terri from Indianapolis, IN

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 149 Feedbacks
January 30, 20090 found this helpful

Why not just sew wide elastic to his favorite big size shorts as criss cross suspenders. If you think they are see through too thin, sew in some under wear as well.


Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 169 Posts
January 30, 20090 found this helpful

What about reguler suspenders with his swim trunks? He could put an old T shirt over them if he doesn't like the way it looks.


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts
January 30, 20090 found this helpful

Have you thought about a sleeveless leotard-type thing worn over smaller trunks?


Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 213 Posts
January 30, 20090 found this helpful

Take a "wife beater" tank top or a T-shirt & hand or machine sew 4 (or more) pieces of Velcro on to the area where the shirt hits the top of the swim trunks. You should put the Velcro on to the area about where his hips would be (in front) then in the back about an equal distance apart.


* I'd first sew the Velcro on the outside of the swim trunks then have him put them on. Next have him try on the tank top then pin the Velcro inside the tank top & making sure they match up exactly before your sew the other matching set on. To make the T-shirt more durable, sew a double hem on the bottom of the shirt where the Velcro will go.

#2) Find suspenders that have not metal parts but attach with plastic.

#3) Use an old pair of suspenders & attach them to the swim trunks waistband with strong Velcro. They also make a SUPER strong Velcro. Ask for it at any fabric store.

#4) Buy Black elastic (in place of suspenders) that is about 1-1/2 or 2 inches wide & attach this with snaps, or Velcro or those figure 8 type interlocking hooks

---> OR, better yet, just sew the elastic DIRECTLY on to the swim trunks & criss-cross it in the back & sew (tack) the area where it criss-crosses.


Ask at anyone at a fabric store, they will gladly help you! Buy these swim trunks at a thrift store to sew the black elastic to & remember the elastic may stretch a bit when it's wet so make it fairly tight. First try these on with strong safety pins. Black Elastic sewn on to black swim shorts would look very nice!

Don't worry if you can't sew. All you need to know how to do is thread a needle. Your sewing should be on the back side of the fabric (inside-out).. Buy a strong matching thread like one that's made to sew buttons on with.

By (Guest Post)
January 31, 20090 found this helpful

A regular bathing suit with an elastic waist or drawstring will do fine. They, unlike conventional pants, are more adjustable. Your husband will not be able to move as freely through the water wearing suspenders. Speedo and Tyr (pronounced "Tier") also make mens racing suits that are full bodied, but you may have difficulty finding it in his size. Try shopping online.


Also, wetsuits are made for cold waters, or extended periods of water activity with minimal movement (scuba diving, waiting to catch waves surfing). If he were to wear a wetsuit while swimming he would not only have difficulty swimming, he would overheat. This is of course, not to mention that in a wetsuit or suspenders your husband would look absolutely silly while in the water.

By (Guest Post)
January 31, 20090 found this helpful

Wrestling trunks used in high school wrestling teams?

January 31, 20090 found this helpful

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I've done some searching and found some things that have over the shoulder straps that he may be able to use for water therapy.


They are called unitards. Who knew! They must be the wrestling uniforms the guest poster suggested. Thanks again for all the suggestions.


Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 270 Feedbacks
February 3, 20090 found this helpful

I am a distance lap swimmer and see a variety of kinds of suits for all ages. Wearing plain elastic waist shorts (not undies) with a tank top shirt, full tshirt, depending on if you are indoors or outside. I myself wear a full tshirt in the summer outdoors and cut if off at the midriff. Want coverage on the shoulders from the sun.
The unitard could be ordered online, google swimsuits, swimwear. My 3 sons were all life guards and we would find many styles for them to choose from.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceJanuary 30, 2009
Pest Control
Mother's Day Ideas!
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-04-08 20:17:07 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.