Removing a Bathtub Drain Rim

I am redoing my bathroom and have to remove the tub. I need to remove the tub drain. How do I do this? It's a rubber stopper type. I don't know if I can unscrew it or what. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Rob.

By Rob from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Challenging Instructions.Things You'll Need:
Tub drain wrench
Plumber's putty
Drain

Purchase the appropriate tools and equipment. For this repair, you'll need a tub drain wrench. They are available at any hardware including Ace, Lowe's and Home Depot. You will also need plumber's putty and a new drain.

Remove the plug. Put the plug down. Using pliers, grab onto the plug and twist it in a counter-clockwise direction. Continue twisting it until the plug comes out of the hole.

Use the tub wrench. Place the wrench into the hole, and using a counterclockwise motion, unscrew the drain flange and pull it up and out.

Prepare the drain flange for installation. Smear plumber's putty under the flange rim. In order to ensure a water tight seal, this is a necessary step.

Install the new drain. Using the tub wrench, twist the drain into the hole using a clockwise direction.

Screw in the stopper. Twist the stopper in a clockwise direction until it is fully inserted into the new drain.

Test your bathtub drain-stopper. Turn on the water and allow your tub to partially fill up. If it holds water, your repair is successful. If not, try again using the previous steps.good luck.

I need a tool to get the bathtub drain rim out. Do I need an expandable type of wrench, there is nothing left inside the rim to grab onto?

Howard from Chicago

Answers: