Displaying Horse Competition Ribbons

My daughter is now 20 and moved out on her own about 8 months ago. As I'm re-doing her room I'm trying to figure out a way to keep and display "some" of the hundreds of horseback competition ribbons that she has hanging from every wall in her room. Some of them are 6-8 inches long, while others hang 12-18 inches long.

Can you think of a way to tastefully keep and display some of them without overwhelming the room. I am not crafty or talented. They currently hang from cords strung across the walls.

Thanks!

By Kathy S.

I tried to reply, not sure if it worked. So here it is. I would make a wallpaper on 1 wall or frame them, but with so many I would try the 1 wall wallpaper. Also, you can find other horse or western decor at sodaashcreekoutfitters or just about any western online shops. I hope this helps. I'm a horse fanatic myself!

Me again, just noticed the sizes that you put in your post, another idea might be to make a border about half way up or higher around the room. I would use a pencil and measure and mark to be sure of your spacing etc.

Because I compete in Obedience Trials, I understand your daughter saving her ribbons. Do you have any plans to change the room into a guest room, sewing room or office if so the ribbons might not go with your new decor.

Perhaps you can make a very memorable picture frame that can be hung on the wall. Your daughter probably has one picture of herself on a horse or at a show that is by far her favorite. You could use poster board, a very thin piece of plywood that you can stain, basically any thing you would like as a back drop for the picture and paste the picture in the middle. Have your daughter choose 12 ribbons that mean the most to her and place them around the picture like a clock or in whatever pattern you like then have it professionally framed.

If the room is going to remain hers but a guest room, same idea but make it large enough to place above or replace her head board with. Make a second one for your daughter to have in her new place. You could also attach them to a lamp shade.

If she is really attached to them, dedicate a wall or two in the room and tack them up in patterns. You could paint the walls like a huge checker board and organize them by squares. If the day ever comes that she gives you the permission to get rid of them, try to find a riding stable that does Physical Therapy for handicapped children and donate them. They would then be awarded to children who would truly cherish them until the day they die.

All my ribbons are small enough that I have scraps books, but nothing says with a little creativity you couldn't make a few from scratch with some help from employees at a hobby shop. Does she still ride? If so, where ever her horse is, perhaps you can hang them like a banner around the stall, way above the horse's head so it doesn't spook it.

And my final idea is find someone who makes quilts and have all the ribbons sewn onto the quilt and then hang it up as an art piece. Have two made, one for her and one for you.

- CaroleeRose

Does the room have windows? If so, you could use them as curtains. Shorter ones across the top as a valance. And then the longer ones halfway up the window like a cafe style curtain.

How about pinning them to both side of a trifold room divider. It could be a nice backdrop for a large plant or a seating area.

Take pics, send them to her on a disc. Or, ,box them up an send them to her and she can decide what to do with them.