Teaching Puppy Not To Chase Hens

What's a good way of teaching my 6 month old puppy not to chase my G. hens when I let them out of the pen? I was going to put him on a leash and walk around in my chicken yard but couldn't even get him into it. He just cried and lay down. Thanks.

Sandy from Mountain View, AR

Find out what motivates your pup the most. Is it weiners, cheese, or maybe just your praise? When you have figured this one out, begin to teach him to watch you by saying just that- "Watch me." When he makes eye contact, give him a treat and some praise. When he has this down, take him around the hens, saying "Watch me" . He should be able to do that correctly, and as he watches you and doesn't bother the hens, give him some of the reward. He watches you, he gets a treat. He ignores the hens and he gets a treat. Be sure to tell him "Good dog" whenever he does what you want him to.

Also, if he gets it wrong, pick him up and remove him from the scene. Try again later. The idea is for him to succeed, so help him out by being attentive. Soon he will understand what you want him to do and he will grow up with that behavior as second nature for him.

To fab4mom: Where were you when my guys were little? I could have used your expertise training my three sons.