Low Salt Cookie Recipes

I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cookies that have little or no salt. Looking especially for oatmeal type cookies. They are for my dad who just had a heart transplant and is on a very limited sodium intake diet. Thanks!

Mindy from Oregon

I don't know if this helps you; but I never add salt to baking recipes. You can buy low-sodium baking powders at the health food store. You can substitute unsalted butter for regular butter; or choose recipes that use oil. Better yet, you can substitute applesauce for oil in recipes for bar cookies or soft cookies. I expect some people here can share recipes; but if you're not afraid to experiment, do it! Just leave out the salt, and if the baking soda or powder is problematic ( because they contain sodium), look for the low sodium ones.

Jilson is correct you don't need to add salt to any baking reciept. She is also correct about her other suggestions, ref: using oil and apple sauce and low sodium baking powder and soda. My husband has high blood pressure etc. No salt - asside from baking for other cooking you can replace salt with other spices to add flovor.