AdviceSkin Care

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

I have pigmentation on my face and took treatments from many different angles, ex: kaya, apolo skin specialist etc. I have taken chemical peeling and dermabrasion, too, but the pigmentation comes back. Please suggest to me a treatment where I can get rid of this once and for all. I never go out and do use a sunscreen (Sun Grace spf40 suggested by my Dr.) The treatments which I've taken were pretty costly and still no luck.

By Ranjini from Bangalore, India

There's two things I know of that have worked very well.

Retin A, used at the very least 3X a week on the spot.

This causes the cells to keep exfoliating, as you may have too many melanocytes (skin coloring cells) going a bit haywire.

The continous cellular turnover that Retin A causes, will eventually eliminate them, but...this isn't a *one time fix it forever thing*.

Retin A must be continued, as long as you want
the darker spots gone. Once you stop using it,
the hyperpigmented spots may come back.

Or, you can go to a dermatologist, and have them

frozen off, with liquid nitrogen. That works instantly, because it destroys the irratic cells, thus causing brand new cells to heal the skin, and continue to thrive. There's no marks or scars left from this procedure, as it's very superficial on the skin also.

Liquid nitrogen is touched onto the dark hyperP spots, which then slightly burns them, since liquid nitrogen is so cold - and then in a few days, the skin just peels off, like sunburned skin, revealing brand new skin again without the spots.

I've had this done several times, and I like it, because it's an instant cure to any spots that are hyperpigmented.

The Retin A, that takes ultimate dedication of using it 3X a week "for the long run".

I have hyperpigmentation all along my cheeks and nose. Can someone kindly suggest any good remedy to get rid of them?

By Shama

How can I remove excess pigmentation? I already take medicine, but it did not help. Please suggest some home remedies or ayurvedic medicine that I might try. Thank you.

By priya

I have been doing treatment of hyperpigmentation on my face, neck, and hands from the last 10 months, but I have gotten very little benefit. I have used Melagard 50+, Elocon, Melalite, etc., but has not seen any significant results. What should I do?

By Bhavana from Nagpur

Answers:

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

Listed below are some effective home remedies for hyperpigmentation:

(02/07/2011)

By joshuaty2010

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

joshuanty2010 has some really good home remedies, but I must mention that it saddens me to the depth of my soul that people think assorted skin colors are of so much concern. I am of mixed heritage and have a cousin who was dark skinned whose skin slowly (in patches) went to white and that caused her great consternation until she realized that it is her inner being is what mattered most and if people judged her for her loss of pigmentation then that was their problem.

Some of us are skinny, some fat, some black, brown, yellow, or white. Some have big ears, nose, mouth, or feet and some have tiny hands, lips, or eyes. When I was young thin lips and pencil thin eyebrows were what made someone pleasing and then it turned to thick eyebrows and large lips being popular. Please just celebrate what God has blessed each of us with and not worry so much about fitting in to what society deems popular. I'll venture to bet that you are quite beautiful just the way you are and simply don't know it. :-) (02/07/2011)

By Deeli

I have hyperpigmentation on my face and neck. I tried lot of creams, but it is not working well. Now I want to try some homemade treatment. Please help me.

Sunita

Answers:

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

I have a handful of family members who live with hypopigmentation (which is the opposite of your worry) and simply cover it with cosmetics or accept it. In your case you could do the same by covering with cosmetics or accepting it and, in your case, always use sun screen and cover yourself with clothing and a hat when out in the sun as much as possible so it doesn't keep progressing. In my family members' cases they don't even have a chance to to stop the progression because they are losing melanin (genetic) rather than being able to stop melanin production.

You might want to read this link about both hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/hyperpigmentation-hypopigmentation (12/06/2010)

By Deeli

I have lot deep hyperpigmentation on my face. It is increasing day by day. I have tried a lot of cosmetics, some very expensive. I have also tried chemical peeling, but it does not help. Please help me.

By Delila from Dubai

Answers:

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

The best way is to #1 avoid exposure to the sun (you live in a sunny place!), #2 always wear sunscreen with a PF of 15+ and reapply frequently, and #3 wear hats/sunglasses. There are a lot of products out now for hyperpigmentation in all the current brands of skin care we can get here at the drugstore. I would suggest applying a product directly on the dark spots to get them to blend in and after that then use on the entire area. I have also read that you can use lemon juice, but I have not yet tried that. (11/03/2010)

By pamphyila

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

Do you have access to fresh aloe vera plants? The fresh gel from the plants is extremely good for skin. (11/09/2010)

By devi_13ck

I have brown spots on my face. It is hyperpigmentation. Not even prescription creams have worked. Please help with any ideas.

NAN from CA

Answers:

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

I have found that regular peroxide (in the brown bottle) took the "age spot" off my hands. I am almost 59, with no spots! Just dab it on the spots, and let it dry. Do it ever night for about a week, you will see a big difference. Now I do it about once a month. I "wash" my hands with it and just let them air dry! (01/26/2006)

By Mary

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

The absolute best thing for evening out skin tone and clearing up any acne you might have is plain old lemon juice! I put this on right after cleansing twice each day for a couple of weeks and now just once a day, mostly at night before bed. (01/27/2006)

By Lisa

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

Try castor oil. It will take the pigment out (01/28/2006)

By Annabelle

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

Porcelana will remove some and keep future ones away. (02/11/2006)

By Stephanie

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

As a make up artist I come across this problem quite often. Hyper pigmentation is the swelling of the capillaries underneath the skin, in some cases these burst and cause a spots of hyperpigmentation as you say you have there. There is not a great deal that can be done other than cover up, and try to keep the area out of the sun as much as possible.

A good sunblock all year round is recommended, however, there are products now that are able to lessen the appearance a good deal. In some cases they are able to eradicate them altogether, depending on how old they are and how deep they. In my experience, B Kamin's rosacea treatment is excellent, however it is better for a pre-makeup base initially. Also, Peter Thomas Roth does an amazing oxygen mask that is also quite effective at diminishing the appearance of brown spots. It's also excellent post booze! (keep it in the fridge). There is another product I have had recommended by clients that I have had little experience with, called Revive. They have an extremely stable vitamin c treatment which is said to treat the problem effectively. It is very pricey, but apparently worth its weight in gold. I hope this helps. (02/25/2006)

By Luke

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

After years of not protecting my face from the sun, I began developing a brown spot which became progressively darker, and then more spots followed. My sister actually tried to rub the spot off my face thinking I had chocolate on my face when the first spot became noticeable! These spots were getting larger and darker, and looked terrible.

I tried the lemon juice idea faithfully for some time and I will tell you, it did not work for me. However, I found what does: Avon has a product called Anew Clinical Laser. It is expensive, $32 for a tube plus a tube of protector (SPF 30). This stuff is worth every penny. It works wonderfully. Within days I could see the spots were becoming lighter. After a month, they are almost gone.

The product is applied from a glass tube which has a tip with a ball-bearing which makes it possible to apply precisely where needed. I apply it to the spots frequently, probably about 3-5 times a day. (Usually when I go into the bathroom I take a minute to dab some on). There is enough product in the tube to remove many spots of deep discoloration. (08/15/2006)

By Donna

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

I've been trying to get rid of brown spots on my face for all while now and I've noticed that pretty much anything I have tried has not been any help to the situation. But there is one thing I have tried and that is using lemon juice. Rub it on the spots right after you take a shower every night you should see results in about a day. Also if you are a girl or woman of color than use Ambi Products. If you need more info on Ambi Products visited www.ambiflawlessskin.com (10/27/2008)

By Kiana

Remedies for Hyperpigmentation

Apply milk to your face everyday for 10 minutes before going to bed. This has solved my pigmentation. (12/13/2008)

By Verma