Protecting Carpet While Painting

Category Painting
Bucket of green paint on a drop cloth.
Avoiding paint spills and splatters on carpet is a major concern for DIY painters. This guide has advice about protecting carpet while painting.

I helped a friend redecorate her son's bedroom, which included painting the walls and trims, repairing the skirting boards, and repainting. We didn't want the hassle of pulling up the carpet.

After lots of thought, I decided the best way to protect the carpet edges around the skirting was to use wide masking tape and tape it onto the carpet, pushing down the edges with a spatula into the space between the carpet and the skirting. I then added a second strip for wider coverage.

You could even tape the drop sheets onto this. It worked brilliantly, and made painting around the doors particularly easy!

By Sabre63 from Melbourne, Australia

I want to paint the crown molding in my living room but I'm trying to figure out how to do it without getting any paint on the carpet. Obviously I know to lay that painters plastic stuff on the floor but how do I make it stay CLOSE to the molding without it moving and getting on my carpet?

Priscilla from Zwolle

Best Answer

Take a cardboard carton and cut strips and shove the cardboard under the trim. Then when you paint it will drip on the cardboard and not on your rug. You should still use the large painting cloth.

Best Answer

Kind of weird, I know, but my husband used to be a painter and he would lay down plastic or a tarp and throw roofing shingles snug up next to the baseboards and spray everything. They're heavy and thin enough to do the job.

Best Answer

I use wide masking tape. It can go right against the edge of what you're painting and will pull of easily when finished. Regards, Jan UK