GrowingGardening

Growing an Avocado Tree in Arkansas

I'm growing the avocado tree inside my home in Arkansas. When it is matured and I plant it outside, will it go dormant during the cold months and return in the spring or will it die off?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Mac from Mena, AR

Mac, I did some homework and this is what I found. Avocado trees are a tropical to subtropical tree therefore, do not take well to freezes.If you do plan on planting outside(when mature), they say deep planting and soil mounting around trunk is best assurance from a freeze.Also, cover with blankets before freeze, if possible.

I also learned that an avocado grown from seed inside the house, rarely produces fruit. When you grow it that way, it is called an "ungrafted tree". You have to graft seedlings which means mixing the tissues of the seedling fruit with those of a producing tree. So, if fruit is desired, it is easier to buy tree from a nursery.But the tree is beautiful (I grew one from seed also). It will produce a spacious canopy and you can train branches to climb.Here are a couple of good sites with rewarding information.Good luck!

www.tropicamango.com
www.avocado.org/grow-your-own-tree