Use Free Auto Services At Auto Parts Stores

Use free auto services out there, like Advanced Auto, or Auto Zone. Recently my battery went out. I went to Advanced, bought a replacement and they put it in for free. The other day, my 'check engine' light came on. I went back to them, they told me what the problem was; a misfiring plug wire, and told me how to turn off the light after the problem was fixed. Amazing what free services they offer.

By shirley felts from Tallassee, TN

Does anyone know if it's appropriate to tip for these free services?

MaryEileen, I don't really know the etiquette on tipping for those free services auto-parts stores offer, but I'd presume it's either not allowed, or frowned on.

Beware of scamming stores. I recently went to one and they told me my alternator was bad--a more costly fix than a battery. I took it into my mechanic and he said it was only my battery. I also was approached by a man saying he could replace my alternator at his shop down the road.

I told him I had my own mechanic. This was all done while a male friend was along who spoke of his experience with car mechanics--used to work on cars and motor homes for a living. Was I ever glad I took it to my mechanic for the fix. Just beware not all stores are reputable.