Preserving Fresh Hot Peppers

Is there a way to can or preserve hot peppers besides vinegar? Example: olive oil?

By gonzales brown from Yeadon, PA

It is very dangerous to preserve things in oil at home. There have been many cases of botulism forming in garlic olive oil and this can be deadly. It seems likely that this would be the case with other vegetables as well. I would research this very carefully if you decide to go this route.

Maybe you could look into a way to can them, like you would tomatoes? Other ideas might be drying them, using a dehydrator or just freezing them for use in chili and salsa throughout the winter.

It looks like there are many good ideas in the archived feedback. Just scroll down and you will see all the previous posts. Hopefully one of these will help you out.

We love jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, then wrapped with a third slice of bacon, I make them up and freeze them for winter. Then I bake them the same 45 minutes at 375 degrees F. They aren't quite as firm as fresh, but we still like them. Otherwise, I chop them fine for soups and cooking, you can pickle them also.

I use my food processor to chop up my garden peppers. I then use zip lock bags and put them in the freezer, date and label.

You can also freeze in ice cube trays, when solid pop into freezer bags for later use.

Food and Recipes Canning VegetablesOctober 3, 2010
💘
🍀