Locating an Old Commercial?

A few years ago there was a commercial featuring an older lady teetering around on high heels. She was walking towards some really tacky, over-sized gold colored leaves. The punchline as she motions to the leaves was "these are leaves" and then something like "they said 'Meg, buy me'" I love that commercial but can't find it anywhere, or remember what it was for. I think it was for the Ikea stores. Does anyone remember?

By Mary Steger from NJ

I remember this commercial back in the early 1990s and I'm pretty sure it was for a candy bar (perhaps Bit O Honey, but I'm not positive). The tag line was "Money, No Taste" and the woman was showing off all of the tacky things in her home. "This is a reproduction of an original but it costs more!" "These, are leaves!" "This is a fountain." "It spoke to me, it said Meg, buy me!"

Best Answer

It was a national ad for a furniture store.

'This is a reproduction but it cost more than the original! '

She's standing in front of a velvet painting bullfighting scene when she utters that famous phrase...

'It spoke to me! It said...'Meg! Buy me!'
The topper was her freeze framed manic expression coupled with a car crash sound effect was deserving of an award.

Im guessing nobody has found it yet???

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts

I don't think so. I spent a bit of time trying to find it and had no luck at all. It's possible that no one digitally recorded it to put it online.

Best Answer

youtu.be/768Ff3sZQZ4

Found it!!!!!

Great, thanks! I can see why it was memorable. Got to love the 80s! :)

Yes, this is it! I am Thanking you!!!

I also stand corrected regarding my thinking the ad was for a candy bar. It definitely makes sense that it was for a furniture retailer (seeing how she is showing off all the tacky things in her home), but after all these years I thought the "Money, No Taste" referred to a candy bar (which showed something that had good taste). Walter E. Smithe is definitely a Chicago-based furniture retailer, and I'm thinking the ad may have been used nationwide by other furniture retailers.

Thanks again for finding one of my "holy grails!"

OKCRAY, I think you are correct! For some reason I got Ikea stuck in my head! Thank you. I would love to see this commercial again. It was hilarious.

Did anyone find this commercial? I too want to see it again. It aired in Central New York in the early 90's. It was for a furniture store. "This is a fountain...These are leaves..."

Anonymous

I saw it in Texas

I remember this ad in Austin.

Anonymous

I think this was a generic commercial that aired all over the country and was purchased regionally by different businesses. I live in Austin TX and it was for a furniture store called "Norwalk".

"These are leaves! This is a fountain...."

Anonymous

This was NOT IKEA. it was for Ashley furniture, or Gage furniture. I've been looking for this commercial for years, and I'm glad to see others are too. It was 100% for a furniture company, I just can't remember which.

I always saw it as a Garden Ridge Commercial here in central Texaxs. (Now, athome)

Anonymous

This commercial was for an investment company. The tag line was, "Money, no taste." Wish I could find it too!

youtu.be/768Ff3sZQZ4

Consumer Advice General AdviceJune 8, 2009
🐛
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf46604614.tip.html