House and HomeProduct Reviews

Reviews of SkimStone for Countertop Refinishing

I have read about all the posts on painting laminate/Formica countertops. I did a sample board to mimic granite and it looks great. I also used the smallest kit of Envirotex, it too looks great. I do notice it scratches and a hot frozen dinner container out of the microwave sticks to it (not very heat resistant).

If I go with paint I may try Diamond Varathane, I haven't read anything negative on it (unlike about every other clear coat).

I also looked into some other ideas and read about something called SkimStone. It's where you do several thin coats of this concrete type of stuff. It looked amazing, but I need to know if anyone has tried this? What sealant did you use? How easy was it to apply?

By Anne Leaver B.