AdviceHealth & Beauty

Suggestions for a Light Sleeper

Why am I such a light sleeper? How can I sleep better?

By Kathrin

I can share lots of information but make certain you have no underlying medical issue (sleep apnea, depression, etc). No caffeine after 2 pm, sleep in a dark (dark!) room, wear comfy night ware (what you find comfy, not what others tell you is comfy), limit liquids after 9 pm (I drink chamomile tea at 8:45), take a warm bath or shower if that calm s you down (be certain to put lotion on afterward so you don't feel 'itchy' from dry skin), sheets that are worn in are softer than brand new ones/flannel sheets are more comfy for some people, some prefer heavy blankets that swaddle while others prefer light, down-filled blankets. Make certain the temperature of the room is right for your needs.

No TV or computers, or "screens" in bed unless you are under the weather.
Believe me I could go on and on and on. Sweet dreams!

I would add: don't exercise heavily late in the evening (stretching to relieve tension is helpful, though) or drink heavily either. I find reading in bed a real snooze provoker. I read a few minutes almost every night. I sometimes use an eye patch, they help. But get a good one - wide eye area with wide straps. The skinny straps aren't as comfortable and they stretch out rapidly. If you have noise issues (other peoples) wear ear plugs. (Yes, you will still hear alarm, smoke alarm, etc). I never had sleep problems until menopause. Unfortunately that sets off insomnia issues for a lot of women, partly due to hot flashes, etc. If you have that issue, then use soy or something to lesson the flashes. Your general sleep patterns are inborn though. Some people sleep like rocks through anything and go to sleep instantly, under any conditions (my significant other). Others of us can't go to sleep if a tiny light is on, with any noise, or uncomfortable in any way.

I have tried drinking hot milk about an hour before bedtime, this really seems to help. Try it several nights before giving up on this idea.

A trick that really worked for me was to take my alarm clock out of my room. Now if I wake up in the middle of the night, I go right back to sleep instead of looking at the clock and thinking, "I only have X hours left to sleep." I use my cell phone as my alarm and keep it out of sight. I also use the Brain Waves app for iPhone if I'm really having trouble unwinding. It has several different "white noise" settings, including deep sleep. It has worked very well for me.

Good luck. Sleep is super important!

You didn't happen to mention how old you are. As we get older we all lose serotonin and find it is more difficult to fall into a deep sleep and to stay asleep. What I've found that has helped me immensely in helping me to fall asleep is 1000 MG of Valerian Root that I buy at a local vitamin store.

How about trying out a small fan or noise machine (white noise). It helps imo. I can't sleep without my fan. Also, keep it cool.

Anonymous

Another thing to try is to not eat a meal or solid foods like snacks for three to four hours before going to sleep. I have an Activia or Yoplait just before going to bed and that helps hold off any hunger pangs during the night.