Kitchen ToolsFood Tips

Choosing the Best Kitchen Knives

I need to know what brand of kitchen knife would be the best to buy. I need a sharp knife for cutting meats, one for vegetables, and one for bread. Thank you.

By Sally

I don't profess to know the best knives for everything although I do have a set of Cutco steak knives which were very expensive and worth it. For tomatoes I bought a special tomato knife from Chef's Catalog and will never be without one again!

I bought a set of Chicago Cutlery and along with the set it has one of those knife blocks where you store the knives. It also has a knife sharpener, which is a long rod for keeping the knives sharp.

I agree with MCW about Chicago Cutlery. I have used them for 50 years. Walmart carries them and they hold an edge for a long ltime. They are an excellent knife for a reasonable price.

Of course you can get an excellent knife for a big price too. My kids bought me a set of very expensive knives and I still use the Chicago Cutlery because they stay sharp. I really like looking at the beautiful rosewood handles on the expensive set.