SnakesPest Control

Can a Rat Snake Hurt a Rabbit?

I found what looks like a black rat snake in my yard. Does any one know if it is likely to hurt a rabbit that i have caged outside? The cage is about 3 ft. off the ground and up against the back of my house. Thanks.

Amanda from Yulee, FL

By Harry (Guest Post)

Well I googled "diet of rat snakes" and it said a full adult (maybe 6 feet long) can eat moles, squirrels, birds and mice. It can also climb trees. So if your rabbit is missing you will know where it is hiding.

By Shawna (Guest Post)

I won't say that they "can't" hurt a rabbit, but I can offer personal reassurance that over 25 years of keeping rabbits, I have never had one killed (or even harmed) by a snake of any kind. And rat snakes as well as many other species are prolific in our area. They do eat our eggs and baby chicks/poults/ducklings/guinea keets.

But never have they harmed a rabbit!

I think that a grown or even half grown rabbit would not only be FAR too large for a rat snake, but would also put up quite a fuss if the snake even approached. With all that stomping going on, the snake would most likely go elsewhere.

I hope this reassures you.

I still wanna know if a rat snake will harm my baby rabbit because I have one and it just got bit and I'm mad

I am not sure what a "Rat Snake" is, but we have Black Snakes here in Arkansas, and when we were raising rabbits for meat years ago, I was checking my nest boxes with babies in them one morning. These were built on the side of the cage, and had a lid on the top. They were just at eye level for me, and I opened one lid and peered in.

What a scare I had! Inside was a Black Snake among my babies. I dropped the lid down and called my husband to remove the snake. Turned out the snake was 5 1/2 feet long and had already devoured one of the month old babies which was evident by the lump in the snake. So make sure that your cage is "snake-proof".
Harlean from Arkansas

YES! Absolutely. I just had a rat snake kill 4 of my 8, 3 week old bunnies it ate one of them and was wrapped around another one when I snatched it out of the cage and relocated it. My bunnies are in wire cages 3 feet off the ground, then enclosed in a full caged area covered in hardware cloth. The bottom of this enclosure is covered with 2in x 4 in wire.

This enclosure also has a door, however the 5 1/5- 6 foot rat/king snake made it into the enclosure and then into one cage through the feeder attachment area. So to answer you question, yes, they can and will kill your bunnies. I suggest you relocate it at least 5 miles away. Now, to let you know it did not kill to the full grown 10 lb momma bunny, however it had not finished killing all my Kits yet either.

Yes a snake will kill your rabbits and kits. We just experienced this 2 days ago, the snake killed 2 kits. The mother rabbit isn't wanting to nurse her other babies, an both kits are now sick acting. We found another kit had died this morning.