Giving Your Cat Medication

I have a cat who can be evil at times. When he needed medication, I learned pretty quickly that none of the tips I'd read worked with him. If I actually caught him and got him to swallow it, he'd throw it up for spite. Then I talked to a wonderful woman I know who did cat rescue in Lansing. She told me to get canned cat food with gravy (or just gravy). Open the capsule or crush the pill and mix with the gravy. The cat would love it.

I was skeptical. He generally could figure out what I wanted and do the opposite, even if it cost him. However, this worked. He's thrilled to get gravy, and I'm thrilled to not get scratched trying to force feed medications. I've been doing this for years now, and we're both happy with it.

By booboo58 from Lansing, MI

Check with your vet before crushing pills. Some medications should not be crushed.

I have found a wonderful thing called Greenies. They are pill pockets that you put the pill inside and squish around it. My cat loves them! Got them at Pets smart. Anne in NC