Beef Mushroom Stroganoff

This is a classic comfort food. Kids usually love it. I used round steak but you can also use ground beef or turkey, or just leave the meat out entirely. it is just as good!

• 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
  • 3 (1 1/2 lbs.) tenderized round steaks, cut into strips
  • 4 cups (16 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 package noodles (I used spaghetti as I had no egg noodles on hand)
  • 1 cup beef broth (or use buillion or beef base to equal 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 pint sour cream (I use fat free)
  • salt, pepper and parsley to taste

Directions:

Start your water boiling for your noodles, as they will take the longest.

Using a large frying pan, saute 1/2 the meat and onions in olive oil until the meat is cooked and the onions are softened. Transfer to another dish and then do the second half of the meat and onions. Add to dish. Saute mushrooms in same pan and add to dish of cooked items. Deglaze pan with red wine and add contents of pan to dish.

Melt butter in pan and add 2 Tbsp. flour. Cook over medium low until flour is combined with butter and browned slightly, stirring constantly. Add in beef broth and Worchestershire sauce and stir to combine. As this mixture thickens, add in cooked ingredients and bring to a simmer. Add sour cream and heat entire mixture. Add salt, pepper and parsley to taste.

Your water should be at a boil now, so you can cook the noodles. If the water isn't ready, hold off on the next direction until they have started cooking.

Serve over hot noodles. This would be good with a salad or some steamed veggies on the side. Bread would also be great for sopping up the leftover sauce.

Servings: 6
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes

By Jess (TF Editor) from Hillsboro, OR

Anonymous

Jess, for all of the cooking I've done I've never made Beef Stroganoff even though I love it! You now have my mouth watering so off to the market I go for fresh mushrooms and round steak for tonight's meal! :-)