Home Treatment For Hives

I have been highly susceptible to hives all of my life due to either allergies or stress. The first step toward getting rid of them is to determine what is causing them. If it's allergies, then the next step is obvious. Get rid of or away from the allergen. If it's stress, then determine the cause of the stress and get away from it.

Next, if the hives are wide-spread over your body, a cool bath with baking soda in the water will sooth your skin and the hives will disappear. You need to have the water as close to body temperature as you can make it. Add approx. 1/4 to 1/2 cup of baking soda depending on the size of your tub. Then get in and get comfortable. Soak in there for at least an hour.

Setting up soothing scented candles (not too close to the tub for safety sake) and turning the lights off will also help, along with some soothing music. Sometimes I will set up an audio book playing on a CD player. This helps stem the boredom (I do tend to get bored laying in the tub for very long). If you have any anti-stress medications, taking a dose of that will also help.

If the hives are localized on your body, apply a cool cloth to the area. Change it out as your body heat warms it up. Don't use wash cloths or towels though as the terry cloth will irritate the hives. I keep a couple of old cloth diapers on hand (haven't had a baby here in close to 20 years!). They are perfect for this. Soft and not rough at all.

I use the tub method though for mine, whether they are localized or wide-spread. It's the best method and will relieve the hives better than any medication out there. And they stay gone too.

Good luck with yours.

By Cricket from NC

Have you ever tried a hot bath instead of a cool one? I had them for 15 straight months, many times from head to toe! I discovered by accident that a hot shower or bath ( actually worked better at getting rid of the itch & sometimes the rash itself. Later, I started hearing some doctors advising the same thing, but I can't remember why they said it works.