AdviceHealth & Beauty

Smooth Bumps on Daughter's Back and Chest

My daughter has smooth bumps all over her back and chest. Tons! They don't seem to be acne as they never erupt, just sit on her skin and look like she is coming down with chicken pox!

It is very uncomfortable for her to wear anything that exposes them. She wears cotton, is using an oil free soap. We have tried everything. Does anyone know what this may be? Also, they are not itchy.

Pattie from Bridgton, Maine

Poor kid! Have her GP look at them. If s/he doesn't know what they are, he'll refer you to a dermatologist.

Have you tried switching laundry detergents/fabric softeners? She may be allergic to something in them.

I've had to use scent free products for years because I get something quite similar.

I would HIGHLY recommend seeing a dermatologist and having allergy tests done. They are a bit pricey up front but well worth it in the long run for your (and her) sanity!

One form of dry bumpy skin can be a Vitamin A deficiency. Be guided by a nutritionist, dietician or doctor on that because too much Vitamin A is toxic, but then not enough is unhealthy too. God bless you both!

This sounds similar to a rash my husband gets. It's caused by yeast on his skin and the only way to get it to clear up has been a perscription. Several doc's have given him the same story - he will battle it off and on for the rest of his life. The recommend showering using selson blue as a body wash. This does help him go longer in between perscriptions but he hates the smell and the perscription is fairly inexpensive. So, be sure to ask the doc if it's possibly due to yeast.

Instead of fooling around with this, take her to a dermatologist.

You do not say how old your daughter is. I would figure out if you've changed detergents or anything that comes in contact with her skin.
Probably take her first to her Pediatrician if she is a young child and he or she can decide if she needs to be seen by a specialist. It doesn't sound serious but it's best to let the professionals figure it out. Good luck!

I have these bumps on my chest and back and on occasion my neck. I have gone to the dermatologist and they prescribed a pill for a yeast infection. They are due to the overproduction of yeast on the skin. They are painful and they do not "pop" the way a pimple does. I took the yeast infection pill and also received an orange colored body wash that is used for dandruff. It worked for a few months but the bumps came back. I have yet to find anything that keeps them away for good. I just noticed the post and decided to reply. Perhaps you already have discovered what it is! Good Luck.