Remove Permanent Marker From Stone

Category Miscellaneous
Permanent Markers
If you have to get permanent marker off a stone surface, such as a fireplace, countertop, or figurine there are several ways to get this done. This is a guide about remove permanent marker from stone.

I have red Sharpie permanent marker on my River Rock Stone Fireplace. My son wrote on one of the stones and no matter what I have used it will not come off. I even tried bleach. Any suggestions?

TIC from PA

Answers

My 5 yr old son did this with a black sharpie on 3 types of stone at his grand parent's house (YIKES!): grey polished slate, varnished marble bowl, white granite with no finish. It came off of the slate the easiest and the varnished granite using 409, dish soap, and one of those "Magic Sponges". The white marble was porous and soaked in the sharpie dye/ink.

We thought something acid would help. I also tried a paste of Ajax cleanser with no luck. A long soak in an acidic solvent should do it (100% Ethanol at pH 3-5). My son added "eyes" to this white marble female figurine. If soaking the head causes a stain, we'll soak the whole thing. If this works, we'll post it.

As for his grandmother's grudge, nothing will remove that stain.

Good luck.

Try Lysol. I just used it on our stone patio table and it is almost totally gone. You can only tell if you know it was there. I am hoping once it sits overnight and I seal that spot again, you won't be able to see it at all. Good Luck!

Oh, let me be specific, Lysol disinfectant spray. Not any of their other floor cleaning products or the like (sorry, I wasn't thinking).

Use Nailpolish remover! It works like a charm! Rub it on every rock you want to clean 4-5 times then rinse and dry.

Anonymous

I had red marker on white marble- nothing worked UNTIL I mixed baking soda/peroxide into a paste and glopped it on the satin- held in place with plastic wrap and masking tape at the edges- gave it 24 hours to dry and pull the ink out- and voila ! IT WORKED- stains (25 or so of them) disappeared !!

Anonymous

This is really useful, worked a treat. Thank you

Anonymous

Amazing

I have red Sharpie permanent marker on my river rock stone Fireplace. My son wrote on one of the stones

and no matter what I have used it will not come off. I even tried bleach. Any suggestions?

TIC from PA

Answers:

Remove Sharpie Permanent Marker From Stone

Could you use a Dremel rotary tool with an abrasive drum (sandpaper?) to grind or sand it off? That's

probably what I'd try, or sponge/smudge on some matching craft paint to cover it up. Good luck.

(06/19/2005)

By Grandma Margie

I have had good luck in removing inks with cheap hair spray or rubbing alcohol. Spray, allow to soak in

and scrub. It takes several attempts. (06/19/2005)

By Wanda

You could write to the manufacturer for advice
www.sanfordcorporation.com (06/19/2005)

By michelle h

Try a product called Awesome sold at Dollar Tree. I sat on a purple Sharpie, open of course, on my tan

suede like couch and had 3 quarter size spots. It took it right off. It was a miracle. It did not take

the ink off of my shorts though! Give it a try! (06/23/2005)

By suzi homemaker

Sharpie and Comet

My 3 year old did a few lines of Sharpie on my dining room table.

A few hours later,

we used a sponge with a scouring back, and used Comet cleaner.

The markings came off. (05/14/2006)

By Danny if OH

Remove Sharpie Permanent Marker From Formica Desktop

I used rubbing alcohol on a a Q-tip. The permanent marker came off easily! (12/04/2006)

By Shari

I found this online, but I bet they have something like it at Home Depot or the like. I like it because

it's made from environmentally friendly products.

http://www.ecodistributiongroup.com/productpages/GraffitiRemover.html

Soygreen Graffiti Remover

"User and Environmentally Safe
Ideal for schools, hospitals,
public housing and public

transportation" (01/16/2007)

By Cyinda

I just removed Sharpie from my white desk with rubbing alcohol and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! (05/16/2007)

By NJ Mom

This page was on my screen as I was using nail polish remover to clean off the Sharpie my son drew on it.

It has done a pretty good job so far; it may be the acetone. (05/19/2007)

By Ben

Using a white board marker over the Sharpie ink, them wiping with rubbing alcohol will remove it from

most smooth surfaces. (09/29/2007)

By Kirkster1961

Aerosol!

If it is a smooth plastic/rubber/metal/wood etc. surface, use anything that is aerosol then rub it away

with a paper towel, repeat. If it is cloth use a product called "Wine away" it's made for wine, but works

for all sorts of things. (12/11/2007)

By Connor

Try some WD 40, it works on almost anything with a porous surface. My girlfriend had glue on her new

"high dollar" wood flooring, we used it and it removed all traces. It is an excellent petroleum based

product. It removes ink from just about everything else. (12/20/2007)

By tupelohoney17

Use tooth paste or spray on sunblock.
(01/25/2008)

By sharpie remover man 101

Use the Oder-Eaters spray. The foot powder spray? Yeah, it'll make the stuff wipe right off. I found that

out tonight. (05/02/2008)

Dawn dish soap and a brush in circular motions,
(06/06/2008)

Any oil/grease based product seems to work as long as it's not on fabric. Hand lotion and sunscreen seem

to be the easiest and cheapest (especially when family members love gifting you scents you hate).

Although to get it off of flesh (like creative 5 yr olds) you need to use it within the first 2 hours.

(10/01/2008)

By Cat

OK so spray sunscreen does work, BUT be careful. It will also remove paint. My daughter colored all over

my white Pottery Barn table. I did remove the Sharpie marker, but took some of the paint off leaving the

finish very dull. It does look better than marker. I would just recommend a small spot test first! I used

the aresol sunscreen. (10/04/2008)

By Jen I.

I got Sharpie on the kitchen counter. I read these posts by people and found the the WD-40 and rubbing

alcohol mixed worked wonders. About 98% of the marks came off. So I was satisfied. But then just to get

the the chemicals off for a clean space, I used 409. Wonderful. 100% clean. (10/17/2008)

By Bruce

We didn't have rubbing alcohol, but started using nail polish remover. Nail polish remover and WD-40 work

great. Use the remover then the WD-40 and keep repeating until gone. Mixed together they didn't work as

well. The remover loosened the marker and the WD-40 pulled it up from the stone. Baby oil works great

and is safe to remove marker from skin. Thanks for all the suggestions. Good luck! (01/10/2009)

By Mother of Two

I got paint on my dinning room table and used Skin So Soft to remove it. It worked great and smells

pretty good too! (02/12/2009)

By Nicole

Oxiclean works. (02/26/2009)

By Lyn