Flattening Milk Jug with a Clothes Iron

I recently read on this site about using an iron to flatten milk jugs. Could someone tell me more details on how to do that? What temperature iron, what covering on the plastic, etc.?

Polly from Turtle Creek, PA

Anonymous

I don't remember seeing that tip before. I can't help but wonder, to save time and electricity, why not just smush the container with your hands or foot with the lid off and then place the lid back on to keep the air out so it will remain collapsed.

In the article (or tip) they mentioned cutting and flattening a milk jug with an iron to use for cutting out plastic patterns and shapes. I don't want to just smash it flat! I wish I could remember what else the tip was about...

Anonymous

Sorry, Polly. I Just assumed it was to flatten the jugs for trash or recycle bin, cause the question didn't mention crafts.

My suggestion would be to first cut top and bottom off of jugs and then cut the body in to two, three or four pieces. To be safe, just experiment with the temperature on small portions until you're sure what is too hot. Any 100 % cotton fabric would be fine to use (old t-shirts, thin towels, etc) but I personally would use fabric under and on top of the plastic.

Hope this helps and be sure to share the iron temp with us and maybe even share a photo of the patterns and shapes :-)