Male Cat Getting Friendly With Another Male Cat

I got 2 new 9 month old male kittens. I brought them into a home with neutered male and female cats (all are neutered by the way). The oldest reigning male cat of the household is started to try and be overly friendly with the biggest male kitten! This is so gross. How do we fix this? I've done the water bottle squirting in the face. Still happened again. In the meantime, my next action until I get a better suggestion is to continue to squirt with water and put him in the timeout box (the pet taxi carrier).

Leave him there for a bit. Might even make him sleep there in the nighttime to avoid a problem while asleep. I don't know what else to do. Anyone else had this problem and solved it, and if so, how so? Thanks to everyone in advance for the help!

You need do nothing. This is normal behavior. Most male cats I've had have done this, and the vet has said it is natural behavior. You may find it to be "gross," but it's part of nature.

I actually have a real answer to this! I did post yesterday with the same problem- & I found a great way to deal with this behavior. My male neuter was mounting, biting, and unfortunately- penetrating (barf!) the poor, darling male kitten- which I knew right then and there that the "innocent and natural" behavior must end. *Warning*: do NOT- I repeat, do not punish or yell at your cat when it does this! Yelling, hitting or throwing things only make it WORSE as it adds stress (which may even be the cause of the behavior) and aggression in the cat also, adding to the dominance behaviors. The neutered male cat was constantly bothering the male kitten, there seemed to be no relief unless I physically separated them, which was not the best in my house to have separate rooms all of the time for each cat. So, I know all of the cats just go berserk with a laser pointer cat toy (the only color cats can see is red, I didn't believe it before, but I do now, but that's another topic on how I found out for sure that it is indeed a fact)

Every time the male neuter exhibited the "mating" behavior: calling, staring at the male kitten, following him or mounting him, I distracted him with the laser pointer- don't aim it AT him, just draw his attention away from his "objet' desire" to the laser dot. I got them good and excited, all of the cats joined in the fun in trying to catch that red dot! I would give them a chance to relax...and kept the laser toy right handy in my pocket to break out at the least hint of him trying to mount again! Even in bed, I kept it in my pyjama bottoms pocket at the ready- and I DID use it too.

GUESS WHAT? This morning, he didn't try to hurt the kitten even ONCE. I think, his brain was "stuck"? in that mode, and he was bored, and that was the only thing he could think about. The laser toy kind of "unhooked" his brain from that train of thought and got him into other things. It also kind of tired the cats out.

The cats can get way over-excited with this toy and I had to calm them down a few times, so they wouldn't like have a heart attack or something. They get so nuts over that laser toy.

Try it, and good luck!!!

The cat is acting normal.You are applying what you think should be normal behavoir for a human to a cat.Cats,as any animal, do not have the same moral compass as you.I am sure you may have heard this old joke.A vet visits a woman who tells him she can't understand how her cat keeps getting pregnant.At that moment a big tom cat walks by and the vet says what about that tom cat.The woman replies don't be silly thats her brother.
Let the cats be cats and not humans.You will only have a break down treating cats as children.

This has nothing to do with sex, but rather your older male cat is exhibiting his dominance over the newcomers. This is normal and will continue to happen whenever he feels it necessary to put them in their place, so to speak.

By (Guest Post)

ditto all of the posts...we have a female dog who will "hump" the is a sign of dominance and not a sexual move...just looks like one!!

Yes, everybody is right. The oldest male is the "Alpha Cat" and making sure the new little one (who might have an attitude!) knows who's boss.

What about if I have a younger male cat who is doing this to the older male cat? They are both neutered...

By lindau (Guest Post)

my 7 year old male cat gets on my side when I am laying on my bed and watching tv and humps on me and meows he has been nuetrued a long time ago, the vet says some cats just do that, or some thing simular grrrrr

I have 3 female (fixed) cats, and it is funny to sometimes see them trying to get ahold of each other's neck (in the back), as if they were going to mate. It IS just a domination move, though. I leave them alone unless they get unnecessarily rough. If that it what's up at your place I'd talk to a few vets for advice.