Health ItemsMake Your Own

Homemade Wet Tissues

I have a major cold and like most colds I have a runny nose! I have a small problem, I ran out of tissues and was unable to go to the store today. so i need a recipe to make my own wet tissues. I need then wet because dry will hurt my nose more than it already does. Please help me!

Ashley from Jax., FL

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT A WET TISSUE, BUT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE THE VERY BEST THING TO USE WHEN YOU HAVE A RUNNY NOSE IS VIVA PAPER TOWELS. I IMAGINE THAT YOUR NOSE HAS STARTED TO ACHE THINKING OF THIS, BUT IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE. I HAD A COLD FOR SIX WEEKS IN THE FALL AND BELIEVE ME I MUST HAVE WIPED MY NOSE A MILLION TIMES. I DID NOT GET A SORE NOSE OR LIP. I USED TO GET COLD SORES ON MY UPPER LIP FROM TISSUES. NOTHING. I HAVE RECOMMENDED THIS OVER AND OVER AND EVERYONE THANKS ME BECAUSE IT WORKS. I USUALLY TEAR THE SHEET IN HALF WHICH SAVES MONEY. IT REALLY WORKS. GOOD LUCK.......HEATHER

i blow my nose alot. i have allergies. the best tissue for the future is kleenex ultra soft. there is none better. i will use cheaper tissues around the house during times i know i wont be using them as much but in winter it is kleenex ultra soft.

My husband and I went through a winter when we seemed to have constant colds. I was spending a lot on tissues. I was about to throw out an old bedsheet and decided to cut it in squares and use these instead of tissues. The softness around your nose helps a lot, and I soak them in a bucket of water before I put them in the wash.

I don't know about anyone else but continuing to wipe your nose with a wet tissue will only cause it to get chapped and sore. It will take the natural oils out of your skin and leave it so dry. I'd keep dabbing any kind of oil/lotion, even a cream meant for healing cuts on your nose to help. Stock up next time on those Klennex Puffs with lotion...they are awesome!

When my daughter was a baby she had the world's WORST runny nose-- I bought really good toilet paper, the quilted, two layer kind, and she never did have a chapped nose. I figured if it was okay for bottoms it would be gentle enough for noses.

By the way, I only bought that kind for her nose. I was a broke sinlge mom, so it was el-cheapo in the bathroom for Mom.

I don't know if this will work for your cold, but I have a recipe for homemade baby wipes. They are safe and gentle, and may help with your chapped nose. Here it is:

1/2 a roll of Bounty select-a-size paper towels
2 Cups water
2 Tbsp. Baby Wash
1 Tbsp. Baby Oil

Mix liquids together, and pour over the paper towels after you have cut them in half the short way. After you pour the liquid on reach in and pull out the cardboard roll. They will roll out and tear from the middle. I have mine in a number 9 tupperware container and it's all I use for my kids. Get feeling better soon!

Buy a clear chapstick (wax) after the you blow your nose, take your selected (for nose only) chapstick and rub it on the end of the nose, a generous layer. The next time you wipe you will be wiping the wax not your skin so you will never get a red sore nose. Do this step after every blowing. Blow, re-wax, blow, re-wax, etc. (so your nose is already protected for the next blowing). Don't try to use a lotion or Vaseline, it will soak into your skin and not give you the wax layer of protection you need, so now you can use any tissue you like to do the blowing. It is the wax protection you need.

My suggestion is mark that chapstick with a permanent magic marker so it is different, easily recognizable to use on your nose only.

Carmex chapstick on your nose will help in a pinch but the real deal is burts bees beeswax