Molds For Making Cement Birdbaths

I am looking for molds to make my own birdbaths with cement. Any suggestions on where to find them? Thanks.

Jane from Edwardsburg, MI

You can use a regular ceramic mold. It is made of plaster. There are many mold companies to choose your mold from if you choose this type but they dont come cheap. You may want to ask your local ceramics studio if they have a used mold for sale which will be much much cheaper and will work just as well or even try the freecycle website in your area. Best of luck :)

Anonymous

I just saw an article today about things you can use as a mold. A woman used serving trays from the Dollar store and once concrete was put in them, they looked like a flower bowl. She said there are many inexpensive items at a dollar store, Goodwill or other thrift store. I hope this helps

A long time ago, I bought a children's book on how to make garden projects and it has a suggestion to use the top of a plastic trash can as a mold, and it says to dig a hole in the ground for the lid to fit, put the lid in the hole, fill with concrete a little, add a chicken wire (as a kind of "rebar" type stabilizer) and add more concrete on top of that, place the actual trash can in the middle, centering it, and let it cure there, and you can add decorative pieces such as marbles or broken tiles to suit your taste. My husband did this just this past summer with our kids and was successful. Good luck!