Quick Sides for Hot Weather

I just wanted to share a couple of my favorite quick side dishes for a hot day. I buy peach halves in the can and put a half on a small serving dish, I add a TBS of cottage cheese to the center and top with a cherry. It looks cheerful, taste good and is quick.

My second favorite is to take a pear half, add a dab of mayo to the hole and top that with some grated cheddar cheese. Both of these are simple but very popular when we have grilled food.

By Eveh from Gulf Coast

Oh my goodness, that pear! When I make them, I have to use a whole big can. Everyone loves it!

Luv the pears! Here's one for you to try...

Lettuce leaf - topped with a canned pineapple slice - one tsp mayo in the middle of the pineapple - finely shredded cheddar sprinkled over all then a cherry with stem on top of the mayo. Tip: great with grilled pork chops. Yum !

This brings back memories. My mother made us a pear salad with some cream cheese in the "hole" and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

I enjoyed your quick salads or sides for hot weather. Your peach and cottage cheese one was one I used for my first 4-H food demonstration. Can you imagine trying to show how to make that particular salad and have to stretch it into a five minute talk? Think I will use this again soon. It is so delicious. Thanks, Linda