LaundryCleaning

How Can I Keep Small Laundry Items from Getting Stuck in Dryer Fins?

In every dryer I've ever owned, small items like socks and washcloths tend to get trapped between the ends of the fins and the front or back of the dryer and then they don't get dry. Then when I take them out and air dry them, they're stiff. Does anyone have any tips on preventing this?

By Belinda from Clifton, KS

I've never noticed small articles of clothing getting stuck like that. How big are your loads of laundry? The only thing I can think of is perhaps the loads are too big, and the laundry cannot tumble freely.

Try using a mesh laundry bag for your small items. That might solve your problem.

I safety pin small items to something bigger.

Thanks, everyone! Large loads might be my problem. Pinning or putting in mesh bags probably wouldn't work, as it's always small but thick things (like heavy winter socks & thick potholders) that have trouble enough drying even when they're tumbling, but thanks for all the suggestions - I appreciate them!

I finally seem to have found a solution! I lay out a bath towel or similar flat, rectangular object in the dryer, toss in a couple of dryer balls and the little items (being sure to shake out each piece so it's not wadded up), then lay another largish item out on top. I haven't had a problem since I started using that procedure. I figure the little things get tumbled a bit so they're not crumpled, before they can escape to where they might get trapped.