Getting Rid of House Flies

I can't get rid of all these house flies. I could get rid of them in the morning then later I have even more. I tried the wine in the pan with dishsoap, nothing happened. I have spent the last hour with a fly swatter, but I still have a good two dozen still flying around. I plan to buy fly paper in the morning. But what an I do now? Help.

By Debbie from Chicago, IL

Best Answer

If you are swatting these flies with a swatter, I am assuming they are regular houseflies. Likely using a swatter will do the job, and flypaper is good, too. The wine and dishsoap thing is for fruit flies, which are tiny.

If you have a sudden influx of flies, and you generally have none, you should try to figure out where they are coming from. On my grandpa's farm, there were always flies from the barn animals. We used to swat 50 to100 at a time, and next day there were just as many. But on a grain farm or here in town, I get one or two flies a month. You must figure out the source of these flies. If it is from farm animals, you can't do much, but if you ordinarily have none, you should look for some dead animal, rotting meat, something like that, someplace where maggots would thrive, and now show up as adult flies.

There has to be a source of food for them, which is where they've settled down to reproduce. See if you can find the source and bury it. The flies will die eventually, but not if they keep laying eggs in something.

I had a similar problems with flies on my porch. I found this site that suggested filling a ziplock bag with water and placing pennies in it. Now, you are probably laughing really hard right now, but it really works!
Here is the website if you are interested in trying it.

http://jackandc … ter-pennies.html

If you like some more info on how to get rid of flies, here are a few more websites I found:

http://blog.eco … op-the-housefly/

http://eartheas … pest_control.htm

I hope that this is helpful for you. : )

The fly bag really does work!

I haven't tried it, but I heard someone swear by using lavender scented candles to keep them away.