CatsPets

Cat Puts Things in Water Dish

Category Cats

My cat always puts things in his water dish. Not just anything, he puts only things that soak up water. I change his water every other day if not every every day and its filtered. He has done this ever since he was really young. Any suggestions?

Cliff from Jacksonville

Anonymous

Like people, cats have quirks ;-) Don't try to change him or worry about it because that's just part of his personality and it's no big deal especially since he's always done it :-)

Being silly here but think about a ritual you might have like how you might put just so much cream or sugar in your coffee and stir it for a certain amount of time ... Yes, you might not drink coffeee or use cream or sugar but you know what I mean :-)

I think it's cute your baby has a goofy ritual :-)

I am glad to know you make sure to keep his water clean :-)

Try changing it several times a day. Would you like to drink from a glass of water that had sat out for a day or two and collected dust, dander, loose fur, bugs, etc.?

You don't need a lot of water if it's a shallow bowl. If you are gone a lot use a big shallow container, like a glass pie dish. Or buy a pet water dispenser from a big box store for under 10 dollars.

My dog will put her tennis balls in her bowl when it's empty. Maybe your cat is just saying, "please empty my bowl, wash it and fill it again.":)

I agree with the others. Just deal with it. He's not likely to change. I would suggest you give clean water every day instead of every other day especially if he's dropping things in it. Our 2 outside dogs like to stand in their bowls when they drink. I finally put 3 bowls outside in different locations and change them every day so they would have semi-clean water at least some of the time!

Must be part racoon.

Wondering if s/he just likes to see that water react, by swirling or plopping or whatever, & is using the objects as tools for this? One of my 6 cats, for instance, drags her heavy glass water bowl a bit away; by then her paw is wet & she seems to like licking the water off it. Rascal seems fascinated by this "ritual", & I've given up worrying about the puddles she creates.

My cat does this also...but only with the pink foam balls..nothing else!! Cute!! I just squeeze out the ball, toss it for him and change the water!! You're not going to get him to stop...cats are quirky...that's why we love them!!

My little one has done this from day one - I have two cats and several water dishes for them but I also change them daily - I pour the stale water onto my plants as I live in a drought affected area. I think its cute actually but then I think she is cute too

Give your kitty plastic drinking straws to play with- we had one (RIP, Shadow- he passed 3 weeks ago) that had that habit, and then he got ahold of the kids' straws- lo and behold, he wound up with those being the favorite water-bowl object! You can't break them of the habit- all you can really do is try to redirect which objects they dunk! ;)

This is funny! I had a kitty that would do the same thing, with everything he could find, carry, swat etc. The "cat specialist" vet I called laughed and said it isn't unusual at all and most likely the kitty is amusing himself getting YOUR reaction!