Storing Food in a Winterized House

We have a home in upper Michigan and this year we are winterizing it for the first time. Can we leave our canned goods, dry foods, laundry detergent or personal bath items in the home during the winter? Or do we have to remove everything from the home that is boxed, canned or liquids?

By kathy from Westland, MI

If you mean insulated, you will still have to remove anything that could freeze and not do well. Insulating a house only works if you are going to heat it. Otherwise it will still take on the outside temperature.

Anonymous

Glad I am not in Michigan anymore ;-) Fifteen winters there and that was enough for me ;-) Even winterizing, and especially in the UP, will cause the same damage to foods the same way as if you placed them in a freezer. Better off to take them home with you or donate to a local shelter.

I would not leave the food, it will draw rodents. I grew up in Westland 2 blocks behind the Dunkin' Donuts on Ford & Wildwood.

Boy, that area sure has changed a lot since I was a kid and that's why we have since moved to Hillsdale county. Mary in Camden, MI

I would only leave dry goods (flour, rice, not beans), powdered laundry detergent, in the house over the winter. If you want to check, get a can and a full bottle of liquid, put them in a doubled plastic bag and leave them over the winter. When you come back in the Spring, see how they weathered the winter. Yes, if it's dry foodstuff, seal it in hard plastic containers (good tip year-round). If you haven't used it over the summer, donate the items to the local food bank for those who stay over the winter and run short.

I clean homes for several family s who have summer homes here in upstate NY where winters are hard. Some choose to heat their homes others do not. Most leave soap items behind with no problems. I wouldn't leave anything that the mice could get into though. they will chew bars of soap.

One client puts all the bar soap in a coffee can for the winter. Liquid soaps should have enough room for expansion so as not to break the bottle when it freezes. I wouldn't think freezing would hurt shampoo and such. Areosols such as hairspray and cleaners shouldn't be let to freeze though. Hope this helps

Anonymous

I just thought of something else: If you're turning off the electricity be sure to leave the fridge door open to help prevent bad odors or mildew.