Storing Holiday Food

Category Cooking Tips
There are a number of ways you can save money and time when preparing and storing food for a holiday feast. This guide is about storing holiday food.

We have had some brutally cold snowy weather already here in NE Ohio. I had my husband bring in a cooler from garage to use for the extra storage I needed for holiday leftovers, but I realized I didn't have enough ice for the cooler. Not to worry, there's enough ice hanging off of the gutters for a fresh batch every day, as much as needed. Problem solved!

By Peggy from Cortland, OH

If you make dressing for Thanksgiving, now is the time to start saving your good bread. Any pieces of leftover french bread, biscuit or cornbread, rolls, no matter how small, just put in a big zip lock bag. I use the gallon size, sometimes two of them, and pop the bread crumbs in the freezer. Come Thanksgiving Eve, just crumble them all, and put in oven until they are all slightly brown, just toasted.

Now when you get up in the morning, you have your bread crumbs all ready to make your dressing. All you need to do is brown up your celery, onion, bell pepper, green onions in a little oil, add along with your spices like sage, poultry seasoning and such. add enough chicken broth to moisten and bake.

Homemade cheap dressing.

By eve

This time of year I start letting the items in my freezer dwindle, and take time to clean it out so there will be plenty of room for holiday foods. I try to buy in bulk, so when I cook I fill my oven or can use large pots. I cook more than we need so that there will be some left to mark carefully and put in the freezer for our future. The secret is in the storage process - don't overcook, since you will have to microwave or warm the food later. Seal your packages well, and mark them with contents and date.

My holidays are much less expensive and hectic when we need a quick meal or an extra item, or friends come over and we want to enjoy time with them instead of ordering expensive delivery foods or standing over the stove. Just bring out what you've already cooked, and enjoy your previously prepared food, the holidays, the friends, and the savings!

By MAWMAWANNE from Charlotte, NC