AdviceHome Improvement

Updating a Block Ceiling

I have one of the old ugly block ceilings in my living room and would love to hear some ideas on how to make it more updated without having to take it all down. Painting would be the simplest for me, but I would like it to look like a tin ceiling. I thought maybe a paper lace doily in the center of each square would give me that look, but I'm afraid once I get it glued that it'll just look like I put a paper lace doily up there! Help!

Lou from New York

Anonymous

There is ceiling paper (like wall paper) with all kinds of cool embossed designs and some do mimic a tin ceiling and they are paintable :-) Also, it can be hung on the entire drop ceiling and not just each square :-) Check out home decor stores and maybe even call an interior designer for a few tips before purchasing ;-)

Before you do anything, especailly painting, seal the ceiling tiles with white shellac to keep them from soaking up too much paint. Something you could try is paintable cauking to make a design on the tiles, Then either paint it white or just kind of stain it with watery paint color of choice.