Repairing a Key Scratch on My Car?

How do I cover a key scratch on a black car?

By Kathy S.

Cars today are painted with a primer coat,a color coat and a clear urethane coat is applied over the color coat. If the scratch is only on the clear it can be buffed out. However, if the scratch is through the top coat then it would have to be repainted. Your best bet is to have a body shop give you an opinion. Touch up paint sold in auto stores or big box stores will make the repair look very noticeable. 3M makes good products, at auto stores, for buffing out scratches but you need buffing pads and a electric buffer. Scratches through the clear and color coat will show a light color which is the primer.

They used to make a wax that was color coded. Black, red, blue etc. The wax will help protect any bare metal the color blends in and does leave a white mark like traditional wax products do.

But it's been ten years since I had my black car. Using traditional waxes the front of my car would have little white specks anywhere there was a stone chip etc it looked horrible. Good luck!

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceMay 24, 2011
🐛
😷
😎
📓
🌻
Generated 2020-08-05 08:46:28 in 918 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf52285005.tip.html

AdviceCars